Wednesday, April 12, 2023 @ 11:00 am
The April 2023 General Membership meeting of the Dallas Police Retired Officers Association took place at Knights of Columbus Hall, 10110 Shoreview Drive, Dallas, TX 75238.
Present: President David Elliston
Vice President Sally Lannom
Secretary Ken Seguin
Treasurer David Potts
Director Boux Bland
Director Joe Richtsmeier
DFR Advisor Larry Williams
Absent: Director Crista Walker
Comm Director Carol Richtsmeier
- President Elliston called the meeting to order at 11:10 am.
- President Elliston led the membership in the Pledge of Allegiance.
- President Elliston announced the names of nine police and firefighters who had passed away during March and early April according to the DPFPS website.
- Clinton Metcalf, Johnnie Wilson, William Simpson, John Cheung, John Feinglas, Richard Moore
- Allen Richards, Robert Melton, Craig Anderson
- Former Vice President Dwight Walker delivered the invocation.
- The minutes from the March 2023 meeting had been previously posted on the DPROA website. A motion was made by member Robert Gutkowski to accept the minutes as posted; seconded by member L. Tom Moore. Motion carried by acclamation with none opposed.
- Oath of Office
- President Elliston administered the oath of office to Director Boux Bland for a new two-year term (2023-2025).
- President Elliston stated that no decision had yet been rendered by the three justice panel of the 5th Court of Appeals on the Annual Adjustment / Benefit Supplement lawsuit.
- President Elliston noted that per the Special Executive Board meeting on March 31, 2023, campaign endorsements had been given in City Council election races to Cara Mendelsohn (incumbent and unopposed) for District 12 and to Chad West (incumbent) for District 1. Of the three District 1 candidates (Chad West, Mariana Griggs, Albert Mata), it was believed that West could best serve the interests of the association.
- The March 2023 Treasurer’s report will be available for review by interested members after the conclusion of the meeting.
- President Elliston advised that after Executive Board discussion, it was determined that additional new members would not be permitted to join as participants in the existing Annual Adjustment & Benefit Supplement lawsuit.
- According to the lobbyist with the Ratliff Company, two bills had been filed affecting DPFPS active and retired members:
- HB 4653 had been requested by Chief of Police Eddie Garcia to amend HB 3158 and allow active officers to remain in DROP for a maximum of 20 years (rather than the current maximum of 10 years). It is hoped that passage of the bill would increase retention of senior officers. The bill was filed by Representative Rafael Anchia and there is a companion bill (SB 2590) filed by Senator Royce West.
- Representative Julie Johnson had filed HB 4034. It would make positive changes to how Group B member’s disability pensions are calculated as well as benefits for Group B member’s survivors in Line of Duty deaths. Three persons testified in favor of the bill, including DPFPS Executive Director Kelly Gottschalk.
- Member Robert Gutkowski noted that an ethics complaint had been lodged against Representative Bryan Slatonalleging that he’d had an inappropriate encounter with a staff intern.
- Former Vice President Dwight Walker stated that there was still no news from Mayor Eric Johnson about recommendations he had received from his appointed advisory panel on addressing pension underfunding.
- President Elliston reported that according to Director Crista Walker, DPROA was adding about three new members per month.
- President Elliston announced and recognized Treasurer David Potts whose last day of active service was April 11, 2023, had become a retiree effective April 12, 2023.
- The next General Membership meeting is scheduled for May 10, 2023.
The meeting was adjourned at 11:40 am.
Kenneth E. Seguin