MINUTES OF GENERAL MEMBERSHIP MEETING
Wednesday, March 8, 2023 @ 11:00 am
The March 2023 General Membership meeting of the Dallas Police Retired Officers Association took place at Knights of Columbus Hall, 10110 Shoreview Drive, Dallas, TX 75238.
Present: President David Elliston
Vice President Sally Lannom
Secretary Ken Seguin
Director Joe Richtsmeier
Director Crista Walker
Absent: Treasurer David Potts
Director Boux Bland
DFR Advisor Larry Williams
Comm Director Carol Richtsmeier
- President Elliston called the meeting to order at 11:05 am.
- President Elliston led the membership in the Pledge of Allegiance.
- President Elliston announced the names of ten police and firefighters who had passed away during late January and in February according to the DPFPS website.
- James Decker, Kirk Thomas, Charles Galyon, Joel Curtis
- Benny Howard, Mark Dawson, Joe Hogan, Jack Hickey, Kalon Cohen, William McCarter
- President Elliston delivered the invocation.
- The minutes from the February 2023 meeting had been previously posted on the DPROA website. A motion was made by member Robert Gutkowski to accept the minutes as posted; seconded by member Larry Eddington. Motion carried by acclamation with none opposed.
- Oath of Office
- Vice President Lannom administered the oath of office to President David Elliston for a new two-year term (2023-2025).
- President Elliston administered the oath of office to Secretary Kenneth Seguin and Director Crista Walker for a new two-year term (2023-2025).
- Director Bland was in Houston for the birth of his grandson and will be administered his oath at the April General Membership meeting.
- President Elliston briefed the membership on the appellate hearing conducted the previous day before the 5thCourt of Appeals at the George Allen Courthouse, 600 Commerce Street, Dallas, TX. The three justices who heard the case were: Ken Molberg (Place 12), Emily Miskel (Place 13), and Bill Pederson III (Place 9). Highlights of attorney George Vie’s arguments during his initial 20-minute presentation were covered. He was followed by DPFPS counsel Ben Mesches who was also allotted 20 minutes. Mr Vie was given an additional five minutes at closing. It may be 2-3 months before the justices announce their decision.
- President Elliston advised that he had received acknowledgements and comments from several City Councilmembers (including Paula Blackmon) in response to his sixth email re: concerns over the pension fund.
- President Elliston reported on the positive meetings he’d had with Vice President Lannom and Councilmember Gay Willis on February 10, and with Director Bland and Councilmember Chad West on February 14.
- President Elliston mentioned that during their meeting, Councilmember Chad West had specifically requested the DPROA’s endorsement for his election campaign in District 1. President Elliston advised him that there were specific procedures for the board to follow regarding endorsements and that he would present the request to the board. Mr West has been the only candidate to seek endorsement for the election scheduled for May 6, 2023.
- Secretary Seguin announced that all 26 Constitutional amendments had passed during the recent election February 6-26, 2023. The board had decided that implementation of the amendment about survivors of Affiliate members being able to change their membership status be postponed until January 1, 2024, since the membership year and dues had already begun for the current year. Secretary Seguin stated that he would update the Constitution so that it could be posted on the DPROA website.
- The February 2023 Treasurer’s report will be available for review by interested members after the conclusion of the meeting.
- President Elliston reported that there was no monthly report from the Ratliff Company but that the DPROA lobbyist would be going to Austin on March 9 and intended to meet with Representative Fred Frazier of District 61.
- President Elliston stated that both the general liability and the D&O insurance policies were being renewed in March.
- There was discussion about Councilmember Cara Mendelsohn’s position on how $11 million being returned by DART to the city should be spent without terms being dictated by DART.
- The next General Membership meeting is scheduled for April 12, 2023.
The meeting was adjourned at 11:36 am.
Kenneth E. Seguin