Wednesday, October 12, 2022 @ 11:00 am
The October 2022 General Membership meeting of the Dallas Police Retired Officers Association took place at Knights of Columbus Hall, 10110 Shoreview Drive, Dallas, TX 75238.
Present: President David Elliston
Secretary Ken Seguin
Director Boux Bland
Director Joe Richtsmeier
DFR Advisor Larry Williams
Absent: Vice President Sally Lannom
Treasurer David Potts
Director Crista Walker
Communications Director Carol Richtsmeier
- President Elliston called the meeting to order at 11:00 am.
- President Elliston led the membership in the Pledge of Allegiance.
- President Elliston announced the names of the 5 police and firefighters who had passed away during the month of September 2022 according to the DPFPS website.
- Leonard Garza, Jesse Dawson, James Rucker, James Chadwick
- Bobby Moore
- President Elliston delivered the invocation.
- The minutes from the September 2022 meeting had been previously posted on the DPROA website. A motion was made by member Robert Gutkowski to accept the minutes as posted; seconded by member Larry Eddington. Motion carried by acclamation with none opposed.
- President Elliston said that attorney George Vie will file his appeal brief to the 5th court of Appeals on Friday, October 14, 2022.
- President Elliston briefed the membership on the email he had sent to Judge Emily Miskel of Collin County 470thDistrict Court. He explained to her that the DPROA could not endorse her candidacy for the 5th Court of Appeals since the DPROA is filing an appeal with that court and wanted to avoid a potential conflict of interest for her.
- President Elliston discussed the results of the meeting he and Secretary Seguin had with Councilmember Cara Mendelsohn at the Corner Bakery in Dallas on September 20, 2022. She had mentioned that she is the sister of Josh Mond who is the DPFPS attorney. She believes that Mayor Johnson is committed to fixing the pension but she is unable to obtain a copy of the recommendations of the Mayor’s advisory committee. She thinks that he may release those publicly in concert with his Spring 2023 reelection campaign. She suggested that DPROA become more politically active and send out short, periodic emails to all council members about DPROA’s concerns and the status of the pension fund.
- Secretary Seguin reported that the Elections Committee is scheduled to meet on October 21, 2022 at 11:30 am. The positions coming up for the February 2023 election are: President, Secretary, Director 1, and Director 3.
- Secretary Seguin also stated that the Constitution Review Committee won’t meet until after the Election Committee meets in October; that will likely be in November.
- President Elliston stated that the Treasurer’s Report is available for review by interested members at the close of today’s meeting.
- Secretary Seguin reported that there were about 45 retirees and 12 spouses at the annual Retirees Picnic in Quitman, TX, on October 1, 2022. Donations in the amount of $335 were received from attendees who were interested in tee-shirts, polo shirts, and ball caps.
- The next General Membership Meeting is scheduled for November 9, 2022.
- Freshman Texas Representative Bryan Slaton from the 5th District is expected to run again according to member Larry Eddington.
- President Elliston mentioned that the Spring mayoral election may give the DPROA an opportunity to endorse Mayor Johnson.
The meeting was adjourned at 11:25 am.
Kenneth E. Seguin