Wednesday, December 13, 2023 @ 11:00 am
The December 2023 General Membership meeting of the Dallas Police Retired Officers Association took place at Knights of Columbus Hall, 10110 Shoreview Drive, Dallas, TX 75238.
Present: President David Elliston
Vice President Sally Lannom
Secretary Ken Seguin
Treasurer David Potts
Director 1 Boux Bland
Director 2 Joe Richtsmeier
Director 3 Crista Walker
DFR Advisor Larry Williams
Communications Director Carol Richtsmeier
- President Elliston called the meeting to order at 11:04 am.
- President Elliston led the membership in the Pledge of Allegiance.
- President Elliston announced the names of four police and seven firefighters who had passed away during November.
- Kenneth Johnson, Alfred Cessna, Robert Spence, Gregory Dugger
- Rhonda Westbrook, Guzman Natal, Franklin Dorough, Wilburn Sims, Richard Bramblitt, Raymond Sweeney, Robert Cole
- President Elliston delivered the invocation.
- The minutes from the November 2023 meeting had been previously posted on the DPROA website. A motion was made by member Tom Moore to accept the minutes as posted; seconded by member Larry Eddington. Motion carried by acclamation with none opposed.
- President Elliston stated there was no further update regarding the filing of the appeal for a rehearing before the 5th Court of Appeals. Deadline for filing is December 27, 2023. He explained to the membership that the three options were to (1) ask for a re-hearing before the original three justices panel, (2) ask for an appeal hearing en banc, i.e., before all justices assigned the 5th Court of Appeals, or (3) to file for a hearing before the Texas Supreme Court. Based on advice of counsel, the Executive Board voted to ask for a re-hearing before the three original justices.
- Secretary Seguin reported that the Election Committee had met on November 28, 2023 and that the minutes of that meeting had been previously furnished via email to board members. To date, a candidate form has been received only from Vice President Lannom.
- President Elliston stated the contract with Katie O’Brien of Trinity Public Affairs had been signed on November 10, 2023. Since then, Ms O’Brien has had two Zoom meeting with President Elliston and Secretary Seguin on November 17 and December 1. These are scheduled for Fridays bi-weekly. She also arranged a 45-minute meeting of both board members and herself with Councilmember Kathy Stewart on December 7 that was productive. Councilmember Stewart believes that City Council is committed to fixing the pension underfunding and she has not seen the animosity that existed in 2016-2017.
- President Elliston advised the contract with Chris Kelly of The Kelley Group public relations was signed November 8, 2023. Mr Kelly drafted an opinion piece (Letter to the Editor) that was revised by President Elliston and was published in the December 13th edition of the Dallas Morning News. It will be shared with the membership on social media.
- Comm Director Richtsmeier will send out a mass blast email to the membership to remind them that the postal mailing address has been changed to 7150 Skillman Street, Suite 160, #365, Dallas, TX 75231. She will also remind all that the annual dues are payable not later than January 31, 2024. Treasurer Potts has already notified the SMU Boulevard post office that all mail should be forwarded to the Skillman Street address.
- President Elliston said he intended to be at the December 14 meeting of the Dallas Police & Fire pension trustees and noted that the Cheiron actuarial firm would be making its next presentation in 2024 with updated figures.
- President Elliston reminded the membership that on January 1, 2024 and thereafter, survivors of police officers can change their Full-Active membership to Affiliate membership if they wish to pay reduced annual dues (from $270 to $135) but not have voting privileges.
- President Elliston stated that the monthly Treasurer’s Report for November would be available for review by members after conclusion of today’s meeting.
- The next General Membership meeting is scheduled for January 10, 2023.
The meeting was adjourned at 11:35 am.
Kenneth E. Seguin