Wednesday, November 8, 2023 @ 11:00 am
The November 2023 General Membership meeting of the Dallas Police Retired Officers Association took place at Knights of Columbus Hall, 10110 Shoreview Drive, Dallas, TX 75238.
Present: President David Elliston
Secretary Ken Seguin
Director 2 Joe Richtsmeier
Director 3 Crista Walker
Absent: Vice President Sally Lannom
Treasurer David Potts
Director 1 Boux Bland
DFR Advisor Larry Williams
Communications Director Carol Richtsmeier
- President Elliston called the meeting to order at 11:00 am.
- President Elliston led the membership in the Pledge of Allegiance.
- President Elliston announced the names of three police and two firefighters who had passed away during October.
- Donald Richie, Thomas Pugh, C.R. Benefield
- Luther Smith Jr, Allen Heckard, Guillermo Luna
- Former Vice President Dwight Walker delivered the invocation.
- The minutes from the October 2023 meeting had been previously posted on the DPROA website. A motion was made by member Robert Gutkowski to accept the minutes as posted; seconded by member Frank Ruspoli. Motion carried by acclamation with none opposed.
- President Elliston advised that no new information had yet been received from attorney George Vie on the Annual Adjustment lawsuit.
- President Elliston announced that he had appointed Secretary Ken Seguin as the chairperson of the Elections Committee. President Elliston also said three board positions would be up for election in February 2024: (Vice President, Treasurer, Director Place 2). The three incumbents (Lannom, Potts, Richtsmeier) have said they would be running for office again.
- President Elliston stated that on October 31, he had met with new City Councilmember Zarin Gracey who described himself as just a Dallas homeowner and not a politician. President Elliston said it was a positive meeting.
- President Elliston reported that it was important that retired First Responders get their story out. Consequently the Executive Board had approved contracting with a Public Relations firm and a Public Affairs firm. The PR firm will identify ‘hardship stories’ that retirees had experienced since passage of HB 3158. and will arrange for Op Eds in the Dallas Morning News. The PA firm will function as a lobbyist with Dallas City Council and city officials.
- President Elliston noted that the Chireon actuarial firm (selected by the state and paid for by the pension system) would be making two presentations on November 9 regarding the pension status and recommendations regarding the fund:
- 8:30 am would be to the Dallas Police & Fire Pension System trustees.
- 3:00 pm would be to the Ad Hoc Pension Committee made up of eight City Councilmembers.
- President Elliston said that Texas House candidate Heath Hyde, who had been endorsed by DPROA, had finished in third place in the District 2 legislative race and would not be on the ballot for the run-off election between Brent Money and Jill Dutton.
- President Elliston stated that the monthly Treasurer’s Report for October would be available for review by members after conclusion of today’s meeting.
- The next General Membership meeting is scheduled for December 13, 2023.
The meeting was adjourned at 11:21 am.
Kenneth E. Seguin