July 10, 2019 @ 11:05 am The July 2019 General Membership meeting of the Dallas Police Retired Officers Association took place at the Dallas Police Association, 1412 Griffin Street East, Dallas, TX 75215.


  • Vice President Dwight Walker
  • Secretary Ken Seguin
  • Treasurer Crista Walker
  • Director Dale Erves
  • DFR Advisor Larry Williams


  • President David Elliston
  • Director Boux Bland
  • Director Louis Felini
  • Communications Director Carol Richtsmeier


  1. Vice President Walker called the meeting to order without the Pledge of Allegiance as the flags had been removed from the room.
  2. Director Dale Erves delivered the invocation with a special remembrance of the passing of H. Ross Perot.
  3. Secretary Seguin asked to identify the last name of the member named “Bill” who seconded approval of the May minutes during the June General Membership meeting. This would be for the purpose of correcting the June minutes. Member Bill Bricker identified that person as himself. The drafted June minutes will be corrected. The minutes from the June 2019 meeting had been previously posted on the DPROA website. A motion was made by member Robert Gutkowski to accept the minutes as posted with the one correction already noted above; seconded by member Bill Bricker. Motion carried by acclamation with none opposed.
  4. VP Walker asked Fire Advisor Larry Williams to update the membership on the Nominating Committee’s actions in recommending persons to be elected in the upcoming DPFPS board election. Fire Advisor Williams stated that the three individuals being selected for consideration by the DPFP Nominations Committee were: Gilbert Garcia, Tina Patterson, and Robert French. The fourth person who could be considered if any of the first three names were not accepted by those voting would be Jason Byrd who was ambiguous about his position on “clawback.” Secretary Seguin recommended that no effort should be undertaken by DPROA to oppose or unseat Tina Patterson since she has not done harm to DPROA since her first appointment to the DPFPS Board. The election will be held in mid-July.
  5. Member Larry Eddington then requested that the resumes of the three pension board candidates be posted on the DPROA website for members to read. Secretary Seguin will coordinate this with Comm Director Richtsmeier.
  6. VP Walker advised the membership that President Elliston was on vacation.
  7. VP Walker reminded the membership that the contract with the Ratliff Company as DPROA lobbyist had been renewed but a report had not been received yet for July. Secretary Seguin will contact Mr. Randy Elliston for the report.
  8. VP Walker stated the Texas Supreme Court will hear oral arguments regarding the certified questions submitted to the court by the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals. The date is set for September 17, 2019. DPROA representatives will be there to hear the arguments and report back to the membership.
  9. VP Walker also said there was no update as to any response on the Eddington case by the Texas Supreme Court to correct the record of the ruling.
  10. VP Walker reported there was no update as to the status of the DPROA vs. Texas Pension Review Board case filed in Austin. There had been a delay due to opposing counsel having surgery.
  11. Director Erves displayed six sample polo shirts (3 mens, 2 womens) with the DPROA logo that are manufactured by Port Authority. The samples were in black, blue, and gray. The board decided on a blend of 60% cotton / 40% synthetic with 3-button style for men and 4-button style for women. The women’s style will also be available in white. Director Erves advised a cost of $30.00 per shirt to the membership, and orders would be taken at the conclusion of the meeting. Payment can be made upon delivery.
  12. Treasurer Walker advised that as an update of contributors for the Annual Adjustment lawsuit, there were now 1,032 participants and $412,800 had been collected. There was an increase of 120 new participants since the June board meeting when the last report was given. Of the $412,800 collected, $200,000 was directly for the Feldman fee, and the remaining $212,800 is to be set aside as a reserve. Of the Feldman contract amount, $150,000 has been paid to date.
  13. VP Walker advised that retired Senior Corporal Dane Thornton has been hospitalized with significant medical issues and updates are being posted on Facebook. He asked the membership to keep him in their prayers.
  14. Director Erves advised DPROA ball caps were available for sale after the meeting.
  15. The next General Membership meeting will not be held on August 14 due to a conflict with the DPA calendar. Secretary Seguin will determine an available date with Randy Aguilar of the DPA. The selected date will be announced on the DPROA site and on the Facebook page.
  16. VP Walker reported that the Dallas Children’s Advocacy Center was not going to purchase the building next to its current location on Samuell Boulevard.
The meeting was adjourned at approximately 11:45 am. //s// Kenneth E. Seguin Secretary


Click to download : MINUTES OF GENERAL MEMBERSHIP MEETING Wednesday, July 10, 2019 @ 11:05am