November 13, 2019 @ 2:36 pm
The October 2019 General Membership meeting of the Dallas Police Retired Officers Association took place at the Dallas Police Association, 1412 Griffin Street East, Dallas, TX 75215.
- President David Elliston
- Vice President Dwight Walker
- Secretary Kenneth Seguin
- Treasurer Crista Walker
- Director Boux Bland
- Director Louis Felini
- Director Dale Erves
- Communications Director Carol Richtsmeier
1. President Elliston called the meeting to order and led the membership in the Pledge of Allegiance.
2. Director Erves delivered the invocation.
3. The minutes from the October 2019 meeting had been previously posted on the DPROA website. A motion was made by member James Freeman to accept the minutes as posted; seconded by member Larry Eddington. Motion carried by acclamation with none opposed.
4. DPA Vice President Anthony Andujar spoke to the membership about CopLine which is a help line for suicide prevention. He stated it is staffed by former officers. Guest Clint McNear, a retired Garland PD officer who is a candidate for Sheriff in Kaufman County, endorsed the value of the program.
5. President Elliston mentioned the Aetna 65+ health care insurance program which members can consider if they are FOP / TMPA members. Clint McNear, as the TMPA representative, will discuss membership later in the meeting.
6. President Elliston discussed reopening of a three-month period (January 1 – March 31, 2020) to give those who had missed joining the Annual Adjustment / Benefit Supplement lawsuit during the original sign-up, an opportunity to join retroactively with dues to be paid along with the lawsuit fee. Those who join in the lawsuit in January will be required to pay dues retroactive to June 1, 2019 through December 31, 2019. Current officers who joined the department on January 1, 2007 or later would not be eligible.
7. President Elliston noted there was no new information from attorney Kirk Pittard on the Degan case, and a ruling from the Texas Supreme Court answers to the questions from the federal Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals in New Orleans.
8. President Elliston reported that attorney George Vie had appeared for a second hearing in Austin pertaining to the Annual Adjustment lawsuit against the Texas Pension Review Board (PRB), and the request to depose Josh McGee, former chairman of the PRB. The judge has ruled against the state in its emergency Writ of Mandamus to delay or dismiss any deposition from being taken. A November 25 date has been set for the deposition, subject to rescheduling.
9. President Elliston stated that the latest report from the Ratliff Company was brief but that Texas Speaker of the House Dennis Bonnen was not going to run again.
10. President Elliston talked about the changes to the DPROA website and said they were very positive. Questions about accessing the site if difficulties are encountered should be directed to Communications Director Carol Richtsmeier.
11. Secretary Seguin updated the membership on the Executive Board offices that will be up for election in February – Vice President, Treasurer, Director Place 2. The Election Committee will meet following the General Membership meeting.
12. President Elliston addressed the need for members to consider becoming candidates for the Executive Board to ensure all positions are filled.
13. Treasurer Walker delivered the monthly Treasurer’s Report. She noted that Give Camp’s work on establishing the new DPROA website was totally free and the work done was valued at $60,000 because of the grant that was given.
14. Director Erves said that he had the new DPROA polo shirts available for sale in red, blue, gray and black colors, and also had ball caps and decals available.
15. TMPA Representative Clint McNear was introduced. He went to work for the Texas Municipal Police Association after his retirement in 2013 from the Garland Police Department. He said that TMPA allows police officers to have a unified voice at the national level. TMPA offers retired officers membership for $3.00 per month and provides civil and criminal legal protection in Use of Force incidents. He gave instructions on how to join. He also mentioned that he is a Republican candidate for Sheriff of Kaufman County. That primary election will be held March 3, 2020. He has been endorsed by the DPROA Board of Directors.
16. President Elliston added that Vice President Walker has also been endorsed by the DPROA Board of Directors in his campaign for District 1 Commissioner of Rockwall County.
17. The next General Membership meeting is scheduled for 11:00 am on December 11, 2019.
The meeting was adjourned at 3:30 pm.
Kenneth E. Seguin
Click to download : MINUTES OF GENERAL MEMBERSHIP MEETING Wednesday, November 13, 2019 @ 2:36 pm