Wednesday, February 8, 2023 @ 11:00 am
The February 2023 General Membership meeting of the Dallas Police Retired Officers Association took place at Knights of Columbus Hall, 10110 Shoreview Drive, Dallas, TX 75238.
Present: President David Elliston
Vice President Sally Lannom
Secretary Ken Seguin
Director Boux Bland
Director Joe Richtsmeier
DFR Advisor Larry Williams
Communications Director Carol Richtsmeier
Absent: Treasurer David Potts
Director Crista Walker
- President Elliston called the meeting to order at 11:06 am.
- President Elliston led the membership in the Pledge of Allegiance.
- President Elliston announced the names of seven police and firefighters who had passed away during late November and December according to the DPFPS website.
- Richard Balluch, Booker Wolfe
- John Calix, John Hobbs, Billy Roberts, Ray Riddles, Nickey Richardson
- President Elliston delivered the invocation.
- The minutes from the January 2023 meeting had been previously posted on the DPROA website. A motion was made by member Robert Gutkowski to accept the minutes as posted; seconded by member Thomas Moorman. Motion carried by acclamation with none opposed.
- President Elliston advised that the Annual Adjustment / Benefit Supplement lawsuit hearing before the 5th Court of Appeals had been set for March 7, 2023 at 2:00 pm on the 8th floor of the George Allen Courthouse, 600 Commerce Street, Dallas, TX.
- It was noted that the City of Dallas never filed an Amicus Curiae brief as had been anticipated.
- Justices who will be sitting on the panel will be Ken Molberg (Place 12), Emily Miskel (Place 13), and Bill Pederson III (Place 9)
- President Elliston stated he had not yet sent an email #6 to Dallas City Councilmembers, but that he did have scheduled a meeting of him and Vice President Lannom with Councilmember Gay Willis for February 10, and of him and Director Bland with Councilmember Chad West for February 14.
- The Constitutional Amendments election was underway on February 6, 2023 as planned with YesElections. The election will conclude at the end of the business day on February 26, 2023.
- The January 2023 Treasurer’s report will be available for review by interested members after the conclusion of the meeting.
- Annual dues for 2023 were due by the deadline date of January 31, 2023. Members who may be delinquent need to become current as soon as possible.
- President Elliston said that Vice President Lannom had found a YouTube link regarding a firm owned by attorney Ted Siedle who conducts forensic audits of pension systems. Estimated cost would be $95,000. The Executive Board continues to discuss the viability of such an audit if financed by multiple Dallas public safety employee associations and if DPFPS can be compelled to submit to such an audit. Interested members can review the 55-minute video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdFq1aEITl4
- The Ratliff lobbyist report had been received from representative Randy Elliston regarding the opening of the 88th Texas legislative session. Comm Director Richtsmeier will post the report to the DPROA website.
- Dallas Police Detective Fred Frazier was elected to House District 61 and is asking to be appointed to the Committee on Pensions, Investments & Financial Services
- No one appears to be pushing to amendments to HB 3158 in this session. The State Pension Review Board will be required to select an independent actuary in 2024 to conduct an actuarial analysis. Any amendments would not be forthcoming until the 2025 session.
- The next General Membership meeting is scheduled for March 8, 2023.
- President Elliston reported that to date, Treasurer Potts had opened three Certificates of Deposit — one at Frost Bank, and two at City Credit Union. The Executive Board has authorized him to open one more 12-month CD at CCU. The annual yield rate has increased to 4.75%.
The meeting was adjourned at 11:27 am.
Kenneth E. Seguin