October 11, 2023
We had a good meeting today and hope you will join us at 11:00am on November 8th at the Knights of Columbus Hall, 10110 Shoreview Rd. Dallas, TX. Come in through the rear where you see the blue awnings. There are a few things I need to call to your attention.
- The 5th Court of Appeals has still not ruled on our Annual Adjustment lawsuit.
- Please note that the mailing address for the DPROA is 7150 Skillman St. Ste 160 #365, Dallas, TX 75231. The old POBox address will be surrendered in December 2023.
- You may recall that back in the spring we changed our constitution to allow “Surviving Spouses” of police officers to continue their membership in DPROA at a reduced dues amount. Surviving spouses can choose to remain a full voting member and pay the full $270 per annum dues ($22.50 monthly) or they can ask to be moved to an “Affiliate Membership” without voting privileges and pay only $135 per annum (11.25 monthly). Any surviving spouse wishing to make this change needs to write a letter to the DPROA expressing your desire to change your membership. We will reply to your request to confirm your status change. All payment methods will remain the same including having your dues amount deducted from your pension check each month. Remember our dues renew every January, but if you sign up for dues deduction you never have to renew again. The Dallas Police & Fire Pension System is updating their Authorization Agreement for Deductions to include a category for surviving police spouses.
- Dallas Mayor Erick Johnson has appointed a Committee on Pensions to study ways for providing additional funding for the Dallas Police & Fire Pension System. There was an encouraging discussion by the council members serving on the committee regarding finding a permanent fix at their last meeting, but there is a lot of work left to accomplish. I will update you when there is anything significant to report.
- Finally, here is a link to a flyer provided by Mr. Heath Hyde, a candidate for the Texas House District 2. Hyde is a former Dallas County Assistant District Attorney and has been endorsed by the DPROA, CLEAT, and Texas Farm Bureau AGFUND. Prior to providing our endorsement, we interviewed Mr. Hyde and believe he will be a valuable ally in the upcoming legislative session. If you live, or have family and friends living in District 2, please consider giving Mr. Hyde your vote. Mr. Hyde asked me to share his cell number (214)356-1000. If anyone has questions or would like a sign for their yard, you can reach him at that number.
Thank you for your support and I hope to see you on November 8th.
Dallas Police Retired Officers Association