Wednesday, August 11, 2021 @ 11:00 am
The August 2021 General Membership meeting of the Dallas Police Retired Officers Association took place at the Dallas Police Association, 1412 Griffin Street East, Dallas, TX 75215.
President David Elliston, Secretary Kenneth Seguin, Director Dale Erves, Director Joe Richtsmeier, Communications Director Carol Richtsmeier, DFR Advisor Larry Williams
Vice President Sally Lannom, Treasurer Crista Walker, Director Boux Bland
- President Elliston called the meeting to order at 11:05 am and led the membership in the Pledge of Allegiance.
- Director Dale Erves delivered the invocation.
- The minutes from the July 2021 meeting had been previously posted on the DPROA website. A motion was made by member Robert Gutkowski to accept the minutes as posted; seconded by member James Barclay. Motion carried by acclamation with none opposed.
- President Elliston reported that attorney George Vie had briefed the Executive Board just prior to the General Membership meeting relative to the lawsuit against the Texas Pension Review Board re: the plea to jurisdiction
- The arguments were heard on July 29 via Zoom due to Covid-19 pandemic concerns
- Judge Sulak deemed that the Texas PRB had no sufficient enforcement power during the passage of HB 3158
- The Texas legislature cannot be sued; the suit must be brought against the entity enforces the legislation (i.e., the Dallas Police & Fire Pension System)
- The written decision in favor of the state was handed down on August 5, 2021
- DPROA has 30 days to file an appeal
- Mr Vie provided options to the board to consider
- President Elliston expects to publish an informative President’s Brief to the membership in late August or early September.
- President Elliston advised that the DPFPS pension board has scheduled a meeting for members on August 16. Members who wish to attend in person must make a reservation in advance with the pension office. Others may attend via Zoom.
- In response to a question by member Aaron Anderson, President Elliston stated that pensions supported by unions are eligible to receive Covid funds.
- President Elliston said he had spoken with Mr Randy Doubrava, General Counsel for the Texas Municipal Police Assocation (TMPA). Mr Doubrava authored an Amicus Brief supporting the Houston Fire Fighters in 2010 and was successful in arguing that City Ordinances and state statutes constitute “unilateral contracts.”
- The monthly lobbyist report essentially listed agenda items for the second special session whenever sufficient numbers of legislators are present for a quorum. No other legislative action at this time.
- Secretary Seguin reported that Treasurer Walker was unable to provide a complete monthly Treasurer’s Report since no billing from the Feldman firm had been received. He said total funds in the bank amounted to $754,581.58.
- President Elliston reminded everyone that the annual DPD Retirees luncheon at the Double Tree hotel (Love Field) would be held on August 14 at 11 am – 3pm. Payment was previously required in advance.
- The next board and general membership meetings are scheduled for September 8, 2021.
- The annual DPD Retirees Picnic is scheduled for Saturday, October 2, 2021 at Hogg State Park in Quitman, TX. More information will be posted on the DPD Retirees Facebook page.
- President Elliston reported that there was no new information as to the work or recommendations of the Mayor’s pension committee to date. An Open Records request for minutes from the committee’s meetings had been made but was advised by the City Secretary that there were no records from such meetings.
The meeting was adjourned at 11:25 am.
Kenneth E. Seguin