MINUTES OF GENERAL MEMBERSHIP MEETING
Wednesday, August 10, 2022 @ 11:00 am
The July 2022 General Membership meeting of the Dallas Police Retired Officers Association took place at Knights of Columbus Hall, 10110 Shoreview Drive, Dallas, TX 75238.
Present: President David Elliston
Vice President Sally Lannom
Secretary Ken Seguin
Treasurer David Potts
Director Boux Bland
Director Joe Richtsmeier
Director Crista Walker
DFR Advisor Larry Williams
Absent: Communications Director Carol Richtsmeier
- President Elliston called the meeting to order at 11:02 am.
- President Elliston led the membership in the Pledge of Allegiance.
- President Elliston announced the names of the 5 police and firefighters who had passed away during the month of July 2022 according to the DPFPS website.
- Paul Hernandez, Chad Jefferson, Orville Stanton
- Donald Hawkins, David Stambaugh
- President Elliston delivered the invocation.
- The minutes from the July 2022 meeting had been previously posted on the DPROA website. A motion was made by member Robert Gutkowski to accept the minutes as posted; seconded by member James Barclay. Motion carried by acclamation with none opposed.
- President Elliston reported that attorney George Vie advised him that he has a deadline of August 29 to file a brief as to why the decision of the 192nd District Court is being appealed. He may have to request a date extension since he has two other unrelated briefs to prepare. Additionally, opposing counsel did not file an appeal of Judge Kristina Williams’ decision on attorney fees. Opposing counsel has not made a request for immediate payment of fees.
- President Elliston stated he called the city of Dallas twice to determine if they had received the decision of the Texas Attorney General’s office (AGO) regarding what documents have to be released under the Texas Public Information Act, and was told it had not. He then called the AGO and was told the decision had been posted on July 8, 2022. He accessed the decision on-line and forwarded it to the city attorney’s office. After receipt of it, they replied to him with a small amount of information which largely consisted of emails sent between board trustee Bill Quinn and the mayor’s Chief of Staff, Tristan Hallman. No record of recommendations by the mayor’s panel was released. The E-Board discussed options and it was decided that President Elliston would write to the AGO and attach a copy of the released material, and ask whether there was more information that should have been released.
- President Elliston mentioned that the pension fund Board of Trustees will be meeting on August 11, 2022. He encouraged members to attend. It was noted that the fund is projected not to reach 70% funding, which would allow ad hoc Annual Adjustment payments, until 2069. Secretary Seguin talked about the importance of voting during trustee elections and noted particularly the support from outgoing trustees Robert French and Gilbert Garcia.
- President Elliston advised that the July Treasurer’s Report from Treasurer Potts would be available to members for review following the meeting.
- President Elliston announced that there were between 135-150 attendees at the Dallas Police Retirees annual luncheon on August 6 at the DoubleTree hotel. The DPROA had a table set up for ball caps and polo shirts, and $260 in donations were received and turned over to Treasurer Potts. The polo shirt stock only had 11 shirts left after the luncheon. Director Richtsmeier still had them available for interested members.
- The next General Membership meeting is scheduled for September 14, 2022 at the Knights of Columbus Hall.
- President Elliston said he would like to have a committee formed that would review what DPROA Constitutional amendments may be needed that could be voted upon by the membership in February 2023. Secretary Seguin offered to chair the committee.
- Members Tom Moorman and Robert Gutkowski volunteered to serve on the committee.
- A possible amendment would be for widows and widowers to choose between full membership with voting privileges or affiliate membership with no voting privileges.
- Splitting of Treasurer duties between the Treasurer and Director Place 3 (financial accounting and membership, respectively) would be another consideration.
- Assignment of apparel management to be assigned to Director Place 2 would also be considered.
- Treasurer Potts would look for a UPS or Fedex location with a physical address in Dallas to be used by DPROA rather than a PO Box or the DPA address.
- Treasurer Potts stated a lot of officers are leaving the department upon reaching 20 years of service. Ways are being considered on how to retain those officers. There was some discussion on the DPA Members Facebook page about possible City Council financial incentives in the upcoming budget:
- A 4.2% cost of living allowance
- Raising dollar amounts of certain existing incentive pays
- Incentive bonuses
- Vice President Lannom talked about the importance of keeping membership contact data current with Director Walker and Comm Director Richtsmeier.
The meeting was adjourned at 11:32 am.
Kenneth E. Seguin