Wednesday, May 10, 2023 @ 11:00 am
The May 2023 General Membership meeting of the Dallas Police Retired Officers Association took place at Knights of Columbus Hall, 10110 Shoreview Drive, Dallas, TX 75238.
Present: Vice President Sally Lannom
Secretary Ken Seguin
Director Boux Bland
Director Joe Richtsmeier
Absent: President David Elliston
Treasurer David Potts
Director Crista Walker
Comm Director Carol Richtsmeier
DFR Advisor Larry Williams
- Vice President Lannom called the meeting to order at 11:05 am.
- Vice President Lannom led the membership in the Pledge of Allegiance.
- Vice President Lannom announced the names of six police and firefighters who had passed away during April and early May according to the DPFPS website.
- Larry Howard, Kevin Green
- Darryl McGuire, Ronald Childre, Michael Roach, H. Barrett
- Former Vice President Dwight Walker delivered the invocation.
- The minutes from the April 2023 meeting had been previously posted on the DPROA website. A motion was made by member Robert Gutkowski to accept the minutes as posted; seconded by member Frank Ruspoli. Motion carried by acclamation with none opposed.
- Vice President Lannom reported no decision had yet been released by the 5th Court of Appeals for the Annual Adjustment / Benefit Supplement lawsuit.
- Vice President Lannom mentioned that in the contested City Council District 1 election, incumbent Chad West (endorsed by DPROA) had won with 52% of the vote while Marianna Griggs and Albert Mata had 39% and 8%, respectively.
- The April 2023 Treasurer’s report will be available for review by interested members after the conclusion of the meeting.
- It was noted that State Representative Bryan Slaton had resigned from the Texas House on May 8, 2023 over an inappropriate sexual relationship on his staff.
- Vice President Lannom read the May 4, 2023 email from the Ratliff Company lobbyist detailing the passage of HB 4653 (relating to changing the active DROP years from 10 to 20) which was passed in the House but not without some initial Democratic in-fighting. A companion bill (SB 2590) was filed by Senator Royce West but its status is unknown.
- The next General Membership meeting is scheduled for June 14, 2023.
- Vice President Lannom stated that there was still no news from Mayor Eric Johnson about recommendations he had received from his appointed advisory panel on addressing pension underfunding.
The meeting was adjourned at 11:39 am.
Kenneth E. Seguin