MINUTES OF GENERAL MEMBERSHIP MEETING
Wednesday, January 11, 2023 @ 11:00 am
The January 2023 General Membership meeting of the Dallas Police Retired Officers Association took place at Knights of Columbus Hall, 10110 Shoreview Drive, Dallas, TX 75238.
Present: President David Elliston
Secretary Ken Seguin
Treasurer David Potts
Director Joe Richtsmeier
Director Crista Walker
DFR Advisor Larry Williams
Communications Director Carol Richtsmeier
Absent: Vice President Sally Lannom
Director Boux Bland
- President Elliston called the meeting to order at 11:06 am.
- President Elliston led the membership in the Pledge of Allegiance.
- President Elliston announced the names of seven police and firefighters who had passed away during late November and December according to the DPFPS website.
- Thomas Elliott, Robert Coffee, James Moses, Josias Prelow, David Hernandez, Duane Boy
- Joe Pierce
- Former Vice President Dwight Walker delivered the invocation.
- The minutes from the November 30, 2022 meeting had been previously posted on the DPROA website. A motion was made by member Frank Ruspoli to accept the minutes as posted; seconded by member Robert Gutkowski. Motion carried by acclamation with none opposed.
- President Elliston stated that DPROA attorney George Vie has until January 23, 2023 to file his reply to the DPFPS attorney’s brief with the 5th Court of Appeals.
- President Elliston stated he had prepared the 5th email update to members of the City Council regarding pension issues and intended to send it out next week. He has asked Comm Director Richtsmeier to ensure all five emails were posted to the DPROA website to keep the membership apprised of ongoing efforts. President Elliston also explained the concept of Actuarial Determined Contribution (ADC) and how over the years, its lack of application formed the basis for the underfunding of the pension system. President Elliston and Advisor Williams will consolidate the information as a briefing letter or email to DPROA attorneys.
- Secretary Seguin updated the membership that Melissa Holland of YesElections had provided five sets of user names and passwords for testing of the sample ballot for February. Five board members tested the site without any significant issues.
- President Elliston covered the contents of the short January email update from the Ratliff Company re: the new legislative session has started and the first functions were ceremonial and appointive in nature. Secretary Seguin added that he’d been in contact with newly-elected State Rep Fred Frazier who confirmed that he’d asked to be appointed to the Committee for Pensions, Investments & Financial Services.
- President Elliston reported that Treasurer Potts had opened three Certificates of Deposit — one at Frost Bank, and two at City Credit Union. All three are $100,000 12-month CD’s. He thought it advisable to open one more at CCU, raising the total CD investments to $400,000. The board considered the recommendation and voted in the Executive Board meeting to approve one additional CD for $100,000 at 12-months.
- President Elliston stated that Vice President Lannom had obtained a 12-month lease on a mailbox at the United Parcel Service (UPS) office in order to give DPROA a physical address. The UPS address is:
7150 Skillman Street, Suite #160
Dallas, TX 75231
The current USPS box will remain in effect for an overlap of one year at which time it will be discontinued. President Elliston will send out a President’s Brief to the membership on this topic with an effective date of March 1, 2023 for the new primary mailing address.
- President Elliston reminded the membership that the 2023 annual dues are payable by January 31, 2023.
- President Elliston reported that Trustee Allen Vaughn had left the pension board. Mayor Eric Johnson reappointed Michael Brown, Steve Idoux, and Mark Malveaux to three-year terms each. He also appointed Tina Hernandez Patterson to a two-year term.
- President Elliston said that the DPFPS lawsuit with Buck Consultants is still on-going.
- President Elliston stated he would make his Council Briefs available to all police and fire retirees to include non-DPROA members.
- The next General Membership meeting is scheduled for February 8, 2023.
The meeting was adjourned at 11:34 am.
Kenneth E. Seguin