Wednesday, October 11, 2023 @ 11:00 am
The October 2023 General Membership meeting of the Dallas Police Retired Officers Association took place at Knights of Columbus Hall, 10110 Shoreview Drive, Dallas, TX 75238.
Present: President David Elliston
Secretary Ken Seguin
Director 3 Crista Walker
Director 2 Joe Richtsmeier
Communications Director Carol Richtsmeier
Absent: Vice President Sally Lannom
Treasurer David Potts
Director 1 Boux Bland
DFR Advisor Larry Williams
- President Elliston called the meeting to order at 11:03 am.
- President Elliston led the membership in the Pledge of Allegiance.
- President Elliston announced the names of three police and two firefighters who had passed away during September.
- Virgil Lee, Jonathan Graybill, John Wade
- Carl Smith, John Berry
- President Elliston delivered the invocation.
- The minutes from the September 2023 meeting had been previously posted on the DPROA website. A motion was made by member Robert Gutkowski to accept the minutes as posted; seconded by member Tom Moore. Motion carried by acclamation with none opposed.
- President Elliston noted that the Dallas Morning News had just published an editorial that advocated the City Council finding a solution to the Pension Fund problems before trying to issue a general $1.1 billion bond package for infrastructure repairs and improvements. The city has a $1.5 billion bond capacity and wants to look at using only the remaining $400 million as an infusion into the pension system.
- President Elliston mentioned that in the most recent report of Dallas Police Department staffing, statistical data showed that for the previous year, 187 new officers had been recruited while 215 were lost through attrition for a net loss of 28 officers.
- President Elliston stated that a decision from the 5th Court of Appeals regarding the Annual Adjustment lawsuit was still pending.
- Secretary Seguin reported that the City of Dallas health plan enrollment period for retirees was set for October 9-20, 2023.
- President Elliston reported that Rob Walters of the Dallas Citizens Council and former trustee of the DPFPS, spoke to the current ad hoc committee on pensions chaired by CM Tennell Atkins. Mr Walters, who also served on Mayor Johnson’s ‘blue ribbon advisory panel,’ did not address the former Dallas mayor’s role in the passage of HB 3158.
- Some retirees received letters from the City of Dallas about credit monitoring for retirees whose personal information may have been compromised by hackers of the city’s personnel system. Retirees with concerns may contact the City of Dallas.
- President Elliston stated that the monthly Treasurer’s Report for September would be available for review by members after conclusion of today’s meeting.
- The next General Membership meeting is scheduled for November 8, 2023.
- President Elliston introduced insurance broker Charles Pierce who made a presentation pertaining to Medicare benefits for those persons under age 65.
- President Elliston reminded everyone of the widows & widowers option to change to Affiliate membership in January 2024 for reduced dues but with loss of voting privileges.
- President Elliston announced that the new DPROA mailing address will become the only official address on January 1, 2024 and that the SMU Post Office box address will no longer be valid.
The meeting was adjourned at 11:39 am.
Kenneth E. Seguin