Wednesday, September 13, 2023 @ 11:00 am
The September 2023 General Membership meeting of the Dallas Police Retired Officers Association took place at Knights of Columbus Hall, 10110 Shoreview Drive, Dallas, TX 75238.
Present: President David Elliston
Secretary Ken Seguin
Treasurer David Potts
Director Crista Walker
DFR Advisor Larry Williams
Absent: Vice President Sally Lannom
Director Boux Bland
Director Joe Richtsmeier
Communications Director Carol Richtsmeier
- President Elliston called the meeting to order at 11:00am.
- President Elliston led the membership in the Pledge of Allegiance.
- President Elliston announced the names of five police and six firefighters who had passed away during July-August.
- Benny Newman, Barry Whitfield, Matthew Bacon, Jose DeLaRocha, John Kipp
- Tracy Murphy, T.G. Gray, Truman Graves, Ronald Johnson, Ronnie Cessna, Leonard Johnson
- President Elliston delivered the invocation.
- The minutes from the August 2023 meeting had been previously posted on the DPROA website. A motion was made by member Robert Gutkowski to accept the minutes as posted; seconded by member Crista Walker. Motion carried by acclamation with none opposed.
- President Elliston advised that according to attorney George Vie, no ruling had yet been released on the March 7 appeal to the 5th Court of Appeals for the Annual Adjustment / Benefit Supplement lawsuit.
- President Elliston stated he had heard nothing more from Councilmember Chad West about city coverage for retirees whose personal information had been compromised by hackers of the city’s personnel system but there was a newspaper article to the effect that both active and retired employees were being covered.
- President Elliston reported that the Executive Board had decided to endorse the candidacy of Mr. Heath Hyde who is running for the Texas District 2 seat in the state House of Representatives. This is the seat vacated by the resignation of Bryan Slaton.
- President Elliston stated that he had not received any feedback from City Councilmembers following the writing campaign by the membership regarding the proper funding of the pension fund.
- President Elliston reported that the monthly Treasurer’s Report for August would be available for review by members after conclusion of today’s meeting.
- The next General Membership meeting is scheduled for October 11, 2023.
- At 11:11 am, President Elliston introduced insurance broker Chas Pierce who is scheduled to give a presentation in October on Medicare for persons under age 65. Mr. Pierce, in turn, then introduced Mr. Bob Garrison who made a presentation to the membership present regarding Medicare benefits for those persons age 65 and over.
The meeting was adjourned at 11:48 am.
Kenneth E. Seguin