Wednesday, June 14, 2023 @ 11:00 am
The June 2023 General Membership meeting of the Dallas Police Retired Officers Association took place at Knights of Columbus Hall, 10110 Shoreview Drive, Dallas, TX 75238.
Present: President David Elliston
Vice President Sally Lannom
Secretary Ken Seguin
Treasurer David Potts
Director Boux Bland
Director Joe Richtsmeier
DFR Advisor Larry Williams
Absent: Director Crista Walker
Communications Director Carol Richtsmeier
- President Elliston called the meeting to order at 11:01 am.
- President Elliston led the membership in the Pledge of Allegiance.
- President Elliston announced the names of three police and firefighters who had passed away during April and early May according to the DPFPS website.
- Benjamin Adamcik
- David Baker, Lynn Brantley
- Former Vice President Dwight Walker delivered the invocation.
- The minutes from the May 2023 meeting had been previously posted on the DPROA website. A motion was made by member Robert Gutkowski to accept the minutes as posted; seconded by member James Barclay. Motion carried by acclamation with none opposed.
- President Elliston reported that he, Vice President Lannom and Director Bland had met with attorney George Vie who had nothing new to report from the 5th Court of Appeals but stated that he expects four months to pass from the March 7 date of the hearing before a decision is rendered.
- President Elliston said he’d been in contact with Councilman Chad West on getting credit monitoring for retirees, in addition to that sought for active police and fire members. This was a matter originally ‘pushed’ by Jim McDade of the Fire Department for active firefighters because of the ransom ware attack into the City of Dallas computer system.
- President Elliston noted that Michael Taglienti (Police) is running for a pension board seat against incumbent Ken Haben, while Armando Garza (Fire) is also running for a seat. This is an election in which only active police and fire members can vote.
- President Elliston stated the one-year contract with the Ratliff Company (June 1, 2023 – May 31, 2-24) was signed by Vice President Lannom on May 11, 2023.
- HB-4034 filed by Julie Johnson relating to certain disability and death benefits payable by the Dallas Police and Fire Pension System did pass both houses.
- According to the Ratliff Company lobbyist, HB-4653 filed by Representative Rafael Anchia relating to changing active DROP years from 10 to 20 did not progress through both chambers to reach the governor’s desk.
- President Elliston advised that the recommendations of the mayor’s advisory panel still have not been released. A Pension Obligation Bond is not presently viable due to the current high interest rates.
- The May 2023 Treasurer’s report will be available for review by interested members after the conclusion of the meeting.
- The next General Membership meeting is scheduled for July 12, 2023.
- President Elliston briefed that Debbie Cox of The Senior Source, a not-for-profit organization that focuses on the needs of senior citizens in the Dallas area, would like to make a presentation to the DPROA membership at a monthly meeting, possibly in July, August or September in the upstairs KofC Hall. The presentation would be limited to 30 minutes and the board agreed that non-member police & fire retirees would be invited.
The meeting was adjourned at 11:28 am.
Kenneth E. Seguin