Wednesday, March 9, 2022 @ 11:00 am
The March 2022 General Membership meeting of the Dallas Police Retired Officers Association took place at the A.C. Garrett Masonic Lodge, 7119 E. Grand Avenue, Dallas, TX 75223
Present: President David Elliston
Vice President Sally Lannom
Secretary Ken Seguin
Treasurer Crista Walker
Treasurer-elect David Potts
Director Boux Bland
Director Joe Richtsmeier
Director Dale Erves
Communications Director Carol Richtsmeier
DFR Advisor Larry Williams
- President Elliston called the meeting to order at 11:01 am.
- President Elliston led the membership in the Pledge of Allegiance.
- President Elliston announced the names of the 11 police and firefighters who had passed away during the month of February 2022 according to the DPFPS website.
- Clyde Patton, John Westphalen, Barry Cauley
- Gerry Friday, William Dollar, Richard Rucks, Alvin Farley, Jimmy Stark, Larry Knight, C.D. Rothrock, Leo Taylor
- Director Erves delivered the invocation.
- The minutes from the February 2022 meeting had been previously posted on the DPROA website. A motion was made by member Robert Gutkowski to accept the minutes as posted; seconded by member Frank Ruspoli. Motion carried by acclamation with none opposed.
- President Elliston administered the oath of office to Sally Lannom (Vice President), David Potts (Treasurer), and Joe Richtsmeier (Director Place 2). He also appointed outgoing Treasurer Walker as “Treasurer Emeritus” to assist incoming Treasurer Potts in his new role.
- President Elliston publicly thanked outgoing Treasurer Crista Walker for her service on the board since its founding December 2016. Her presented her with a $50 dinner gift card from her fellow board members.
- Treasurer Walker reported that the DPROA website had been moved away from Wix to Cloud Flare and there were no further problems with a Secure Socket Layer (SSL) renewal certificate. All of this was accomplished with much assistance from Sean Weisfeld of Dallas GiveCamp. President Elliston added that the board had voted to authorize a $200 gift card to Mr Sean Weisfeld of Dallas GiveCamp in appreciation for the many hours he voluntarily spent in resolving the issues formerly associated with Wix
- President Elliston advised no stamped decision has yet been received by attorney George Vie from the 192ndJudicial District Court. As soon as a final decision is rendered, the membership will be apprised. Additionally, the final arguments presented by both attorneys to Judge Christina Williams were posted on the Facebook page for DPROA Annual Adjustment Lawsuit.
- President Elliston stated that he tried to listen to the last meeting of the pension board in which the “Communications Plan” on HB 3158 was to be discussed. He said it was inaudible. He called the pension office and was told that there were equipment problems.
- President Elliston reminded all present that 2022 dues were to have been paid no later than January 31, 2022.
- Registered letters prepared by President Elliston would be mailed soon to only those delinquent individuals who were also members of the Annual Adjustment / Benefit Supplement lawsuit, advising them of their membership termination and elimination from the lawsuit without their immediate action. The Treasurer will continue to work with those members who have not yet paid their 2022 dues.
- Treasurer Walker reported that DPROA total funds in Frost Bank amounted to $878,406.59 and that total funds in all accounts amounted to $956,910.98. Additionally, there is still $78,504.39 in the Feldman account for attorney fees.
- President Elliston said he’d spoken with Rick Salinas of the Retired Hispanic Firefighters Association regarding DPFPS Board Member Robert French who has not yet decided whether he will run for reelection. Both current board members Gilbert Garcia and Tina Patterson are terming out and cannot run for reelection.
- President Elliston stated he would be serving on the upcoming Nominations Committee for DPFPS Pension Board positions; Director Bland would serve as his alternate.
- The next General Membership meeting is scheduled for April 13, 2022.
- Vice President Lannom then introduced Mr Clint Miller who did a presentation on an insurance program offered by MASA Medical Transport. MASA stands for Medical Air Services Association. It is designed to cover large expenses that may be incurred when a person has to be air-evacuated due to a medical emergency or transported by ground ambulance.
The meeting was adjourned at 11:52 am.
Kenneth E. Seguin